Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

To take the pledge or NOT to

Lately I have been seeing people take an "Ice bucket" challenge in the name of ALS, as honerable as this challenge is, I will NOT be perticipating.  I know hold the phone, I understand the rules either donate 10.00 for doing the challenge or 100 if you refuse; before you shoot me down, here me out.  As honerable as this challenge it, the more I watch it, I can't help feel that people have made a mochery of what the challenge is really about. You have people using water buckets, cups and now as of late some one was doing it in the ocean?  While their intentions are well and good I ask myself do they even understand why they are really doing it or are they doing it under peer pressure? I say this because I had a wonderful friend pass away from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. As he once stated to me, ALS is almost worse than cancer it can victimise anyone.  As a spectator to ALS it wasn't fun to watch my wonderful friend die a slow painful death.  Every day was a challeng; from eating a simple meal to trying to attempt to go to the bathroom.  Am I saying that the ice challenge is wrong, NO by all means it's honerable, I am saying that if you are doing the challenge DON'T get caught up in all the " Whoo-hoo's I'm doing the challenge, but make sure that your motives are in the right place and you are doing it for the right reason.  ALS is painful and dreadful thing to go through and I wouldn't wish it on anyone let alone myself.  Everytime I hear the word ALS the last conversation I had with Elmer goes through my mind, "You know if I end up going to the hospital, that will be my last.  I will NOT be coming back"  Just like cancer this isn't a disease that you can plan for, after all who plans on dying?

No comments:

Post a Comment